Our Vision, Values and ethos
“Together we embrace a learning adventure inspiring creative, inquisitive and compassionate children who show determination, perseverance and the courage to explore”
Our core school values.
At Canada Hill, we are...
Our pupils enjoy coming to school; they feel safe, secure and have a sense of belonging to our Canada Hill School Family. We develop in our young people a sense of the importance of balance between the intellectual, physical and emotional needs in their lives.
Our pupils take responsibility for their own actions with respect to themselves, their interactions with the school and the wider community, and the local and global environment. They are encouraged to take on areas of responsibility and leadership opportunities throughout the school. Our pupils act with integrity and understand the importance of making balanced, reasoned and ethical decisions throughout their lives.
We teach our pupils the importance of having an inquisitive and enquiring mind. They enjoy using critical and creative thinking when examining complex problems and enjoy working both independently and within teams. Our pupils have a love of learning which continues throughout their lives.
Our pupils reflect on their strengths and weaknesses in order to continue to grow and develop as individuals both academically and personally. They learn from their own experiences, actions and mistakes, and from those of other people and society in general.
Our pupils are encouraged to challenge themselves to step beyond their comfort zone and be all that they can be. They understand that the greatest rewards do not come from taking the safe or easy route. With support they understand that challenge or failure is not something to be afraid of - it is an opportunity from which to learn and grow.
Our pupils understand the importance of empathy, compassion, tolerance and respect. They value the importance of understanding other people, other cultures and the natural environment and they are committed to making a positive difference in the lives of others and the world around them.
Our pupils understand the correlation between hard work, determination, commitment and reward. They demonstrate these qualities in both their academic and personal lives and they continue to persevere in the face of challenge or adversity. In addition, our pupils understand the importance of honouring the commitments they have made.
What do we want to achieve for our children?
- To value and celebrate everyone’s uniqueness and individuality, including their own.
- To develop independent, well rounded, confident, capable and socially aware children.
- To promote respect for others, with the ethos of the school being a strong community.
- To allow the children to become open and creative independent thinkers.
- To help children develop strong schema of knowledge in each subject discipline and help them remember that knowledge.
- To successfully prepare children for the next stage of their education and development.
What do we want to achieve as a school?
- We are fully committed to safe-guarding all children and all members of our school community.
- We continually seek to improve and enhance our provision.
- We aim to maintain our high levels of achievement and seek to build and improve upon this, enabling all children to make individual progress and reach their full potential.
- We fully utilise our extensive grounds in order to provide a wide range of learning experiences.
- We value the talented staff we have at Canada Hill and we work hard to retain and develop our “outstanding” status in the top 10% of schools, with aspirations to improve further.
How will we achieve this?
- We are committed to broadly follow the National Curriculum whilst strengthening areas to enhance pupil success. For example: we will further develop the enjoyment of outdoor learning and hands-on learning experiences, both within the classroom and outside; promoting purposeful learning within our local, national and global community.
- Continue to develop a knowledge-first curriculum in which key concepts are clearly mapped out, linked, revisited and built upon over time.
- Constantly improve the quality of teaching across school through the provision of inspirational teaching and through a highly developed team ethos amongst our staff.
- We will utilise tried and tested teaching methods but are prepared to innovate.
How do we know we are succeeding?
- Our children and staff are happy, come to school willingly, and have a thirst for learning.
- Our children are continually making progress.
- We continue to achieve highly against national achievement data.